This week on ‘Built For Speed’ we tell you all about Brian Wilson’s ‘Pet Sounds 50 year anniversary’ show from the Palais Theatre last Sunday and we’ll play some Beach Boys classics that featured on the night. We’ll also play some of the best new music from Australia and overseas and continue our look at the finest tracks of the millennia so far. On the movie front we look at crowd pleasing comedy My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 and Icelandic sheep farming drama Rams. Don’t forget our regular preview of gigs and TV for the week. Check out ‘Built For Speed’ Friday 8-10pm on 88.3 Southern FM.
This week on ‘Built For Speed’ Arnie’s back as we review action blockbuster Terminator: Genisys. We also take a look at the biopic of Beach Boys legend Brian Wilson in Love and Mercy. Accordingly, we’ll play some classic Beach Boys and some bands who were clearly influenced by Brian Wilson’s genius. We’ll also take a selection from Sonic Youth’s classic Goo album, which turned 20 last week and we’ll play a fine selection of new and old Aussie tracks. Don’t forget our regular preview of gigs and TV for the week. Check out ‘Built For Speed’ Friday 8-10pm on 88.3 Southern FM.
On my version of Purple Haze tonight, Wednesday April 29th, 8-10pm, I’ll have the following guests:
– Rod Perry & Joe Karlovsky from The Wild Yabbies band
– Carl Wockner, talking about his new cd ‘Crayon Days’
– Peter Bowman from Black Mars, talking about their new release, ‘Love With Pain’
I’ll also be spinning new cds by :
– Colleen Hewett
– Ringo Starr
– Brian Wilson
– Jerry Lee Lewis
– The Black Sorrows
– Nellie McKay
Also, I have some great interviews coming up :
– Marilyn McCoo, the lead singer of the 5th Dimension (Up,up & away, Wedding Bell Blues & many other hits)
– Colleen Hewett – about her new ‘Black & White’ cd
– Brian Kehew – author of the 400 page coffee table book ” Kaleidoscope Eyes: A Day in the Life of Sgt. Pepper. The Photography of Henry Grossman”
Hope you can tune in,
From the archives..in this interview, Brian talks about his 11th solo CD, ‘That Lucky Old Sun’, as well as talking about his time as the founder, leader and composer of the legendary Beach Boys, who had 20 Top 40 hits.
This interview was recorded in March 2009 & is being loaded as a podcast for the first time. It’s duration is 43 minutes 40 seconds.
I hope you enjoy listening to this music legend.
NICK LAIRD-CLOWES OFFICIAL WEBSITE: Here