Mike Heatley and Andy Davis on Purple Haze – Podcast
In this Podcast, Mark Copolov interviews the reissue producer Mike Heatley & reissue producer & liner notes author Andy Davis about their involvement in the “Come & Get It: The Best Of Apple Records” release, which is the first commercial multi-artist compilation in record company Apple’s history. The 16 cds & downloads have all been digitally remastered. The Beatles founded Apple Records in London in 1968 as a forward-thinking, artist-oriented label that would foster talent in a creative friendly environment, & provide an alternative to the traditional record companies that had dominated the British music industry since before World War II.
Between 1968 & 1973, Apple Records issued around 50 different singles by artists other than The Beatles. This first ever digital remaster compilation of Apple Records releases is a collection, which is a selection from that catalogue, each an A-side, a few US-only, & each epitomising in its own way what Apple was all about. It’s an electric collection, spanning the musical genres & drawing upon influences from around the world.
While never run intentionally on a wholly commercial basis, Apple Records was nevertheless a highly successful record label. Around a quarter of its singles charted in the UK or the US — that’s a hits-to-releases ratio that few other labels have ever achieved.
Click the play button below to hear a full podcast of the interview.
Purple Haze is sponsored by Classic Cars with Character
- Podcast – Howard Gable – Record Producer from the 60’s and 70’s – on Purple Haze
- Kevin Johnson – interview with Purple Haze presenter Mark Copolov – podcast (2 hours)
- Mike Heatley (co-producer of The Beatles new cd set ‘On Air Live At The BBC Vol 2’) interview with Mark Copolov on Purple Haze – Podcast (51 minutes 28 secs)
- Exclusive interview with Axel Korinth, co-author of the book ‘A Is For Apple. Vol. 2’ with Purple Haze presenter Mark Copolov – interview and music [podcast, 2 hours, July 2017]
- THE PURPLE HAZE ARCHIVE presents DAVID PEEL: SINGER, ACTIVIST, ICONOCLAST…LEGEND on PODCAST